Friday, August 8, 2008

Another Prayer by [Guess]... Thanks to Dr J!!


J has left a new comment on your post "Prayer of....":

Do you know this one?

"Guide us waking, O Lord, and guard us sleeping; that awake we may watch with Christ, and asleep we may rest in peace.

Lord, you now have set your servant free
to go in peace as you have promised;

For these eyes of mine have seen the Savior,
whom you have prepared for all the world to see:

A Light to enlighten the nations,
and the glory of your people Israel.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit:
as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.

Guide us waking, O Lord, and guard us sleeping; that awake we may watch with Christ, and asleep we may rest in peace. "

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, moopig...I was checking my Technorati acct., and saw mention of my blog on your site. I am floored to see my latest post right on your front page, and was near tears, until I read this powerful prayer, and now I am in tears.

I've seen you on Blog Ninjas. Planning to participate there, but haven't managed that yet.

MooPig said...

Hi Christina:
This comes to us via Dr J, and is truly edifying. I know tears of my brothers and sisters is evidences of New Wine, and I thank you for sharing that with me.

I think it is true some carry a light that is brighter than normal... and it will shine anywhere in any medium, through any language. Eh? It helped me as I found your super blog and had to put it on this sidebar; compulsive, naw!

With warmest regards: Pat Darnell aka MooPig.

ps. Don't forget to try and guess the source of this prayer...

d2r2 said...

Pope Pius X ?

Anonymous said...

In the Anglican Compline, this prayer is called the "Song of Simeon" and comes from Luke 2:29–32. Simeon was a devout Jew who had been promised that he would not die until he had seen the savior. Some 40 days after Jesus' birth, Mary and Joseph brought him to the temple to be blessed and Simeon sang those words as he held the baby Jesus. In the liturgical tradition it is called Nunc Dimittis (from the first 2 words from the Latin text).

MooPig said...

beautiful...