Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Turn yourselves and Live ye

A quick look into a concordance, flip to the subject phrase in my big old King James, read and think; that's what happens when someone mentions any thing from the Bible. Further cogitate the verse in other translations, until I am sure I get it.

Why is that important? I think it is necessary to tell my friends when it comes to Christ, Scripture and understanding, that I take very seriously any thing they say to me.

Besides, oration is divine. We humans talk to each other: we humans talk to Lord God. It is an essential slice of creation, and are accountable for what we say and do. We are responsible to be faithful and steadfast stewards of God's conservatory. That is right. And if my friends and relatives can show me new evidence, and I can learn a deeper understanding of scripture, with a little help from my friends, well whoa to the devil.

Tonight, my brother Dave told me about his forward progress in reading Ezekiel. "My favorite," I said.

I am not playing around; Ezekiel is important, because he is one of the three priest-prophets who were taken captive by Nebuchadnezzar. Ezekiel was taken to the Big N's headquarters when he was 25-ish. From that point on Ezekial's physical body was no longer his own. He would become completely manipulated physically and mentally, by the Lord God, Adonai Yahweh.

Nebuchadnezzer conquered lots of sovereign people, and to cover all bases with God, he brought the main priests of every conquered land to his temple.

At age thirty, while in captivity, Ezekiel began prophesying. Also, his marriage ended as his wife died early in their life together, subsequently when Jerusalem fell to Nebuchadnezzer. His sorrows were genuine, and would reveal long-time suffering similar of any Son of Man who loves, and is governed by Lord God, yet is separated by a wide gulf from Him.

Ezekial was made unable to speak except when he was given a message to deliver; he was made to shave his head and perform odd ceremonies; he was made to eat a bittersweet scroll; he was made to experience frightening visions; he was told to lie down as on his one side for hundreds of days, and turned to lie on the other side for 40 more days.

Ezekial's physical manifestations are so interesting to me because they are examples of a man who is the scriptures, not just a reader of them. When Ezekiel spoke, it was a miracle of God the Creator. Ezekiel, old friend, didn't just study a scroll, he ate it. When he was denied a life with his wife, he was sad from the day of her death forward. When he was given words to speak on Lord God's behalf, he was put in jeopardy.

Ezekiel could only speak when he was given prophecy to relay to people. And then, the words were rarely spoke to friendlies; he had to suffer wrath of wickedness and back-blow from both sides of current regimes. His unavoidable suffering resulted because the Word of Lord God rarely applied to human vanity. He was most often bearer of warnings of bad events arising for those who insisted on being wicked.

"Dave, did you ever notice people don't really like to be told how things will turn out? Especially 'wicked' people?" I said.

We chuckled, [instead of whimpering], as we talked about how Ezekiel had been a scapegoat made fool for what is ill, decrepit and sinful in the kingdoms he served. As priest-prophet he looked after the conquered Israelites, and as captive, he was accountable to Nebuchadnezzer. Bad situation for any man or woman.

So this is what Dave said: "What's really good is at the end of all those warnings, betrayals and battles, hardships and humiliations, is one line -- it says 'Turn and Live.'"

Go ahead, take a look -- Ezekiel 18, verse 32, "For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord God; wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye." (KJ)

That is what I was looking at just now and wanted to share with others: "Turn yourselves, and live ye."  So 'TAG -- you're It' ... I guess... King's X.
[thanks Dave: pdaf]

No comments: