Sunday, April 13, 2008

MTC #10

Please visit the Mystery Topic Challenge Blog to view all of the other entries. Once you've read them all, please be sure to vote HERE for your favorite.


"It was the third of September" and it was cold and rainy in Cleveland. The word had just been received "My Daddy died". The news matched the weather.

"I never saw him, only heard bad things about him". I lived near the South Flats. Daddy was a worker at the warehouses on the river. They told me "He never worked a day in his life".
I'd heard from a young man who said he knew Daddy and asked did I? Mama told me she thought there was " Some outside children and another wife".

Once or twice after trying to get to some truth in the matter, people told me "He did some storefront preaching. Maybe they didn't remember all but some could recall " Preaching and collections in the name of the Lord". I didn't know who was telling the truth, "Mama was telling the truth", as she knew it.

There were photos from the mills in full production with the "Jacks of all trades who worked in them". Daddy was there in the back.

There were photos of the little bars all around the "mistake on the lake", word up Daddy
"spent most of his time chasing women and drinking".

I vowed to find him, I didn't. I said I'll never be like him, I'm not. I said I hate him, I don't.
When I saw Mama, "She looked at me with a tear in her eye and said, all he ever left us was alone."

She said, "I loved him".
So did I.

Please visit the Mystery Topic Challenge Blog to view all of the other entries. Once you've read them all, please be sure to vote HERE for your favorite.

2 comments:

Andy D said...

Wow, very very nice. Sorry for your loss. I really liked the article, and I loved the way you wrote it. Good luck.

Eric said...

Very powerful post. Certainly worthy of winning this MTC and will be getting my vote.

Eric