Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Draw closer, Listen carefully

Not long ago I heard a story about a young man and an old preacher.

The young man had lost his job and didn't know which way to turn.
So, he went to see the preacher.

Pacing about, the young man ranted about his problem.
Finally, he raised a clenched fist and shouted,
" I've prayed to God to say something to help me.
Tell me, preacher, why doesn't God answer me?"

The preacher, who sat across the room , spoke something so
hushed it was indistinguishable. The young man stepped
across the room, "What did you say?"
The preacher repeated himself, but again in a tone as soft
as a whisper. So the young man moved closer still and said,
" Sorry, I still didn't hear you."

With their heads bent together, the old preacher spoke again,
" God sometimes whispers, so we will move closer, to hear Him."
This time the young man heard; and he understood.

We all want God's voice to thunder through the air with answers.
But God's is the still, small voice...the gentle whisper.

Perhaps there's a reason. Nothing draws human focus quite like a
whisper. God's whisper means I must stop my ranting and move
closer to Him, until my head is bent together with His.
And then, as I listen, I will find my answer.
Better still, I find myself closer to God.

3 comments:

MooPig said...

I enjoyed this Re-mix, a closer walk with thee... I feel the gravel path beneath my feet still.

d2r2 said...

It is smooth, cool topsoil underneath
the gravel.

Christina G. said...

I'm reading this & it's like an arrow is piercing my heart...yet in a good way.